Salary: $62,981.08 - $92,976.00 Annually
Application Period: 1/31/2019 - 2/14/2019The current vacancy is in the Transportation Assignment, but this recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies in any assignment.
A Senior Planner performs advanced-level professional planning work of considerable difficulty and manages complex planning projects to completion. Areas of assignment may include: transportation, long-range planning, planning and zoning, design review, subdivision review, zoning administration, and plans review. Employees in this class may also serve as a staff liaison for national and regional planning agencies and City boards such as the Planning and Zoning, Design Review, Board of Adjustment, or Subdivision Review Boards, depending upon assignment.
Duties may include:
- developing and implementing plans, studies and programs
- serving as lead expert
- reviewing development proposals and projects against standards and regulations
- administering, managing, and implementing guidelines and amendments
- data analysis
- providing technical review
- providing support to various boards, community groups, committees, commissions, and City Council
- coordinating with national and regional agencies
- writing, defending, and managing grants
- preparing and managing a budget
- planning and coordination of special events
- serving as the lead expert in area of responsibility
Additional duties may include:
- conferring with engineers, developers, architects, outside agencies, and the general public to acquire information
- preparing for and conducting public meetings
- supervising the work of paraprofessional/professional staff
Based on assignment, this position is supervised by a Principal Planner, the Planning Director, or a Supervising Engineer who reviews work through meetings, conferences, and results achieved. This class is FLSA exempt-administrative.
Please refer to the link below for the full job description.
Qualifications & Requirements:
Employee Values: All employees of the City of Mesa are expected to uphold and exhibit the City's shared employee values of Knowledge, Respect, and Integrity.
Minimum Qualifications Required. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Planning, Urban Planning, Geography, Civil Engineering, Transportation Planning, or a related field. Considerable (3 - 5 years) professional experience in transportation planning, urban planning, civil engineering, professional design, or traffic engineering.
Preferred/Desirable Qualifications. American Institute of Certified Planners certification and graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master's Degree are highly desirable.
Link to Job Description: