The City of Champaign seeks qualified candidates for a career opportunity as an Operations Supervisor in the Sewer section of the Public Works Department.
Responsibilities of Position
This position manages the work of the Sewer Section within the Operations Division including in-house maintenance of City infrastructure systems, such as stormwater and sanitation. The employee will supervise and direct the work activities of the sewer, televising, and digging work crews. The employee will manage the section budget, administer performance evaluations, ensure compliance with safety regulations, and respond to difficult or non-routine customer service requests.
The employee will collaborate with the Operations Manager on activities essential to City infrastructure maintenance and improvement such as: snow removal, hazard mitigation, storm/flooding events, etc. Extended hours/shifts are a requirement during emergency response events.
The City's mission is to provide responsive, caring, cost-effective service in partnership with our community. The following values guide our work: Person Integrity, Responsibility, Respect, Teamwork, Results. The City of Champaign is committed to promoting a work environment and a community that values and supports diversity and inclusion.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- At least three (3) years of heavy equipment operation, infrastructure maintenance, snow and ice operations, or sewer maintenance and repair experience.
- At least two (2) years of supervisory experience.
- Or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Experience with sewer maintenance and repair work including analyzing/troubleshooting problems in the field.
- Experience supervising staff and work crews in the field.
- Customer service experience.
- Working knowledge of vehicles and equipment related to sewer maintenance and repair.
- Basic experience with computers, geographic information systems (GIS), mapping, and/or mobile technology for hand-held devices.
- Valid state-issued driver’s license and good driving record.
- Possession of, or the ability to successfully obtain within 90 days of hire, a Class B CDL without air brake restriction issued by the State of Illinois.
- Ability to serve on standby (on-call status) on a recurring basis.
- Associates or bachelor’s degree in construction management, civil engineering, public administration, management or a related field.
- Experience preparing budgets and managing expenditures, purchases and contracts.
- Knowledge of sewer maintenance and construction worksite safety regulations.
- Experience using management information systems to manage and monitor service requests, work orders and project schedules.
Pre-employment drug screening and background check will be required. The starting salary is $74,263 - $84,538, DOQ, plus an excellent fringe benefits package. Applications must be submitted online to champaignil.gov/jobs no later than Sunday, March 31, 2019.