The City of Champaign seeks qualified candidates for a career opportunity as an Operations Manager in the Public Works Department.
Responsibilities of Position
This position manages the Operations Division of the Public Works Department including all in-house maintenance of City infrastructure systems such as sewers, sidewalks, pavements, trees, City facilities, traffic signals, street lights, signs, and pavement markings; City fleet management; utility locating; snow and ice and other emergency response; yard waste collection; landscape maintenance; and City contracts for various services. The work involves planning, managing, and monitoring work of others to achieve established goals. As a member of the Public Works Department Management Team, assists the Public Works Director in planning projects, setting department goals, evaluating work and departmental effectiveness, and communicating with City Council, staff, and the public.
The City's mission is to provide responsive, caring, cost-effective service in partnership with our community. The following values guide our work: Personal Integrity, Responsibility, Respect, Teamwork, Results. The City of Champaign is committed to promoting a work environment and a community that values and supports diversity and inclusion.
- A bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Technology, Public Administration, management or a related field.
- Five years of supervisory experience.
- Experience managing the work of multiple work groups or teams in a government, construction, industrial, or manufacturing environment.
- An equivalent combination of work experience and education that demonstrates the required knowledge, skills, and abilities will be considered.
- Experience with budget preparation, managing expenditures, purchasing, and contract management.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff, elected officials, other government agencies, and vendors.
- Good driving record and must possess a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Illinois within 30 days of hire.
- An advanced degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Technology, Public Administration, or management.
- Experience managing union employees.
- Experience in a local government environment.
- Experience with managing Public Works infrastructure systems, construction projects, and programs.
- Experience writing technical specifications for purchasing documents.
- Experience using computer systems to manage and monitor service requests, work orders, and project schedules.
Drug screening and criminal background check will be required. The annual starting salary range is $86,092 - $97,950, DOQ, plus an excellent fringe benefits package. Applications, including cover letter and resume, must be submitted online to champaignil.gov/jobs no later than Sunday, January 20, 2019.