This position performs complex and responsible administrative work and technical staff assistance in the management and oversight of the Parks, Recreation and Natural Resources (PRNR) Maintenance Services division. It oversees Supervisor positions, planner/schedulers, other staff and contractors. It is responsible for the planning and oversight of projects, corrective maintenance and scheduled maintenance activities including responsibility for all staff activities, safety, finances and equipment, ensuring appropriate infrastructure maintenance and event support. Serves as a resource for and coordinates with other PRNR staff, and other units across the enterprise.
- Manages and supervises staff and contractors to provide appropriate corrective and scheduled maintenance and small project improvements. Develops long range maintenance plans. Coordinates with park staff to ensure appropriate prioritization, coordination and scheduling, analyzing and assessing effectiveness and efficiency of work performed within parks, both with in-house staff and contractors. Has primary responsibility for the work management system ensuring appropriate utilization, analysis and providing reports to others as needed. Works with regulatory agencies or programs (e.g., Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Environmental Permitting, Building Departments, etc.) on permitting activities and improvements to ensure compliance with environmental protection requirements and building codes.
- Coordinates with PRNR Procurement liaison, Procurement and the Office of Financial Management on the hiring of contractors and vendors ensuring the Procurement Code is followed. Provides staff with appropriate procurement training. Researches and analyzes costs and prepares bid specifications. Oversees contracts.
- Responsible for all financial aspects within the unit including budgeting, invoicing, P-card expenditures and monitoring and tracking budget. Tracks lifecycles of major assets for budget forecasting, assists with asset data collection and management process. Utilizes computerized programs for communication, scheduling, time management, financial tracking and work orders.
- Serves as primary hiring authority in the division. Develops, conducts and ensures safety and other appropriate training for staff. Completes staff performance reviews and ensures these are submitted on time.
- Participates in strategic planning efforts and performance measure tracking and reporting. Assists with presentations and reports.
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university required in construction and maintenance and four (4) years of related experience. An Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university and six (6) years of job-related park-related maintenance experience. Year-for-year experience may substitute for the college degree. Two or more years of supervisory experience required based on the job.
Preferred Qualifications: Advanced professional certification highly preferred. Skilled Trades experience, concrete, carpentry work.
Job Competencies: Intermediate to advanced computer skills. Environmental stewardship ethic. Advanced knowledge of construction trades.