Salary: $68,929.71 - $102,523.20
Application Period: 2/1/2019 - 2/7/2019An Economic Development Project Manager plans, organizes, monitors, manages, and evaluates economic development project activities. Responsibilities include:
- coordinating, directing, and implementing programs and projects that support commercial, office, and industrial development;
- workforce development; the attraction of and assistance to domestic and international businesses;
- development of public facilities and infrastructure;
- small business development initiatives; and/or
- other economic development, redevelopment, or capital improvement programs or projects.
- performing economic development ombudsman duties with City departments on behalf of private developers locating or located within the City;
- assisting in representing the City on economic development boards and committees, and other issues as assigned;
- developing management plans including current and critical path schedules for public improvement and private revitalization projects;
- meeting and working with citizen committees, special interest groups, non-profit organizations, and neighborhood groups concerning economic development issues and problems; and
- developing business assistance, business retention, and financing plans.
Duties also include:
- evaluating projects on a cost/benefit basis;
- evaluating and processing rezoning, design review, and use permit requests for projects within the downtown area;
- preparing reports on economic development activities for administrative, advisory boards, and City Council decision-making;
- soliciting development proposals from private development companies; and
- negotiating development agreements and contracts with private developers.
Work is either oriented toward short-term or multi-year projects. This class performs related duties as required. Work requires considerable independent judgment and initiative in combining a broad scope of professional planning and economic development knowledge, and sophisticated, analytical judgments in order to solve a variety of complex, technical problems. Responsible for overall management of economic development project activities. This class may functionally supervise Economic Development Specialist(s) and/or office support staff. This class is supervised by a department director or deputy director who reviews work through conferences, meetings, reports, and results achieved. This class is FLSA exempt-administrative.
Please refer to the link below for the full job description.
Qualifications & Requirements:
Employee Values: All employees of the City of Mesa are expected to uphold and exhibit the City's shared employee values of Knowledge, Respect and Integrity.
Minimum Qualifications Required. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Public or Business Administration, Economic Development, Commercial Real Estate, or a related field. Extensive (5+ years) progressively responsible work experience at a level that required supervision or management of projects and programs in economic development, redevelopment, commercial real estate development, business assistance, public facility or infrastructure development, public and/or private finance, or workforce development.
Special Requirement. Must possess a valid Arizona Driver's License by hire date.
Preferred/Desirable Qualifications. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master's Degree in one of the fields outlined above, membership in related professional organizations, the ability to speak a second language, and designation as a Certified Economic Developer (CEcD).
Link to Job Description: