About Our Job
We are seeking a self-motivated individual to guide assigned staff/project managers and manage the design/engineering contracts of our Transportation and Stormwater projects. You have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced environment along with the hard-working professionals within our Capital Projects department on innovative infrastructure projects such as our local roundabouts, Advanced Traffic Management System (ATMS) projects, stormwater management facilities, bridges, roadway improvements, roadway resurfacing, sidewalks/trails and traffic signals. It is a rewarding experience to be part of a progressive organization to provide infrastructure needs to the community. If this is something you are passionate about and want to help impact our community, apply today!
This position oversees assigned infrastructure projects, providing overall direction for completing complex design programs/projects, leading work teams, and handling multi-disciplinary and technically challenging projects and programs within the CIP. Typical projects involve interagency, inter-jurisdictional or multi-disciplinary coordination and public involvement. This position will manage six (6) design staff members.
Plans, organizes, supervises, directs and reviews the work of assigned personnel, in the execution of various types of projects/improvements during design:
- Plans, organizes, supervises, directs and reviews the work of assigned design management group for Transportation, including consultants for design of various types of projects/improvements involved in the CIP.
- Responsible for preparation and administration of adopted project budgets (design portion).
- Provides oversight of the design group’s assigned projects for contractor compliance with schedule, quality, and budget parameters.
- Provides oversight and review of correspondence, reports, studies and design schedules.
- Assists with contract development.
- Reviews work of design professionals for technical competence and compliance with all current codes and regulations.
- Reviews project design progress through completion, bid analysis, and specifications with project engineer.
- Assists with public inquiries/meetings/public outreach relative to specific projects, policies and procedures.
- Claim and escalation support.
- Signoffs at appropriate times per Business Practice for IFCA’s, Invoices, final Pay Applications.
- Provide technical consistency for design services & fees, negotiation support, and QA/QC.
- Ensure contract documents are enforceable.
- Provide annual reviews, approval of timecards, and authorizations of leave.
- Provides technical guidance to Design PMs for close-out and turnover for CIP.
- Involved in providing Technical Process Improvement support to Transportation CIP Manager.
- Serve and support Transportation CIP group as part of PSRC.
Alignment of Business Center Core Services with BCC Strategic Issues:
- Assists with the development of the CIP that support the business centers’ core services for alignment with BCC strategic initiatives.
- Assists the work unit with technically developing performance measures that improve work processes.
- Manages proactive assessments of fraud awareness, prevention, detection and risk mitigation activities in area of responsibility; oversees financial, compliance, operational and performance audits; reviews audit findings and ensures appropriate controls are established and implemented.
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university required in Civil Engineering or related engineering field and four (4) years of related experience.
- Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university and six (6) years of job-related experience.
- Year-for-year experience may substitute for the college degree.
- Two or more years of supervisory experience required based on the job and noted on the job description.
- Advanced professional certification highly preferred.
Preferred Qualifications: Professional Engineering certification is required from the State of Florida.
Job Competencies: e-Builder, Outlook, Microsoft Office, Adobe, etc.
Subject to Passing Substance Screening: This position is subject to passing a pre-employment substance screening. An applicant who fails to pass a required drug screening test shall be disqualified from employment in any class for a period of five (5) years.
About Everything Else
Pay: $60,777.60 - $100,380.80
This Posting is currently Open Until Filled
- Enjoy great benefits including Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Flexible Spending Accounts, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Florida Retirement System (FRS) and many, many more!
- For more information about employee benefits, please click this link or visit SCGov.net for additional information.
- Utilize our award-winning wellness program including free gyms and classes at multiple Sarasota County Government locations.
- Enjoy 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days and 16 paid vacation days in the first year of full-time employment with increasing accrual rates with years of service. (That adds up to a possible 30 days off in your 1st year!)
A different blend of voices prompt better conversations, choices and results for everyone. Sarasota County – Many Voices, One Team.
Diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are the keys to serving, representing and understanding our community. We celebrate and value the experiences, backgrounds, perspectives, talents and strengths that make us different and are committed to creating a culture of understanding and respect where our employees realize that we are stronger together.
Our vision is to have a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace that attracts, develops, retains and engages a talented workforce broadly representative of the citizens and communities we serve. To further value creativity, innovation, collaboration and great customer service – internally and externally.
Sarasota County Government promotes diversity and inclusion in its workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identification or expression, genetic information, religion, national origin, marital status, age or disability. A job applicant with a disability who requires reasonable accommodation to participate in the application/selection process is requested to make known the need for an accommodation to Human Resources or appropriate county staff members. For assistance with the application, please call 941-861-5353.
Government employers are drug-free and tobacco-free environments, EEO/AA/ADA employers, and they prohibit discrimination in all services, programs or activities.
Sarasota County Government is a Tobacco-Free/Drug-Free Workplace.