ABOUT THIS POSITION
THIS IS A CRITICAL POSITION. During the current health crisis, any job interviews will be held by video or audio conference.
Please be aware that you may be required to undergo screening for symptoms of COVID-19 which may include answering questions regarding symptoms or having your body temperature read as part of this job. You may also be required to wear a face covering or use other personal protective equipment (PPE) related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The City Prosecutor’s Office is responsible for prosecuting approximately 40,000 misdemeanor cases filed annually in Phoenix Municipal Court. The Prosecutor’s Office also (1) provides information and resources for crime victims and witnesses through the Victim Services Unit, (2) administers diversion programs to eligible individuals through the Diversion Unit, and (3) works with communities to resolve neighborhood issues through the Community Prosecution Bureau.
The City Prosecutor oversees a staff of 144, consisting of 50 attorneys and 94 support staff and an annual operating budget of $13.5 million. In addition to leading and directing the office, the City Prosecutor must be able to work effectively with the Mayor and City Council, City Manager, City Departments (especially the Phoenix Police Department), other governmental agencies (including the County Attorney and the Arizona Department of Public Safety), and neighborhood groups. The City Prosecutor also represents the City before public interest groups to explain legal policies and procedures.
This recruitment and any interview process as a result of this recruitment may be used by multiple hiring managers and multiple departments throughout the City to fill any related current or future vacancies; other recruitments and appropriate eligible lists may also be considered.
The ideal candidate must have superior communication skills, demonstrable management and administrative skills.
Up to $170,518 annually.
Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. The City contributes 8.5% of salary into 457/401(a) plans with no matching required. $5,220/annual car allowance and $1,440/annual cell phone allowance.
A comprehensive Executive benefits package is offered which includes:
Traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, HDHP/HSA plan; wellness incentive of up to $720 annually; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement; paid time off includes 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, 15 sick days. For more details, visit: Executive Benefits.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited school of law and admission to the State Bar of Arizona (or from a state with Arizona bar reciprocity). Please include your Arizona State Bar license number on resume or cover letter.
- Four years of experience as a practicing criminal attorney, including two years of substantial involvement in the management process and policymaking function of a law office or law department.
- In general, City of Phoenix residency is required within 24 months after the date of hire for newly hired executives, however exceptions apply for current employees. For more details, visit: https://www.phoenix.gov/hr/who-apply/residency.
- The City job description can be found here.
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS – The minimum qualifications listed above, plus:
- Experience working with law-enforcement agencies (such as city police departments, state police, and county attorney) to coordinate criminal justice efforts, programs, and training.
- Experience training and evaluating bureau chiefs, supervising attorneys, line attorneys, and staff.
- Experience with personnel management and supervision.
First review of applications will occur the week of September 28, 2020. Recruitment will close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications or on October 12, 2020, whichever is sooner.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at https://www.phoenix.gov/hr/current-jobs/ by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please click here.
- Link to All City of Phoenix Employment Opportunities
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.