The City of Avondale Estates, Georgia welcomes applications for the position of Chief of Police. A growing community of 3,500 residents, Avondale Estates is a 1.2 square mile city located seven miles east of downtown Atlanta, one and half miles within Interstate 285, and between by two MARTA rail stations. Founded in 1924, the city celebrates its historic character and small-town atmosphere while facilitating smart-growth and development of its central downtown district with restaurants, retail and business. Avondale Estates is a full-service city with forty-three full-time employees and a $5.8 million-dollar operating budget. The Avondale Estates Police Department provides a high level of service to the community that creates a safe place for citizens and a positive work environment for employees. This position reports directly to the City Manager, and is responsible for planning, organizing and directing all activities and policies of the Police Department, including activities involving department services, budget administration, long/short range planning, training issues, political issues, administrative functions and interactions with the public and other law enforcement entities.
The city is looking for a leader that is excited about working in Avondale Estates. The new Chief should have the ability to communicate and be available to staff at all levels. The candidate will foster open communication for ideas and feedback from employees that will provide a positive working environment. A positive community relationship is paramount to the success of the new Chief and the quality of service offered to the citizens.
The Police Department has fifteen full time positions and one part-time position including patrol, investigations and code enforcement. The department’s budget is $1.4 million.
- Master’s degree in a course of study related to the occupational field required.
- More than five years of progressive, upwardly mobile related experienced required at rank of Major, Captain, Assistant Chief or Chief.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Ability to meet current requirements set forth by the Peace Officer Standards and Training Council for the State of Georgia.
- As a condition of employment, applicants should be prepared for a background check that includes fingerprint/criminal history check via GCIC, driver’s license check via DMVS, psychological exam, credit history check, medical exam with drug screening and a complete POST review.
The salary range for this position is $91,978 - $128,770 commensurate with qualifications, with a competitive benefits package.
Interested applicants must complete the online application including a resume and cover letter at no later than 5 p.m. on January 7, 2022.
The Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police (GACP) will be assisting the City of Avondale Estates with the selection of a Chief of Police; consequently, selected candidates will participate in a three (3) part assessment center. Applications will be evaluated by the City of Avondale Estates and GACP.
City of Avondale Estates
21 North Avondale Plaza
Avondale Estates, GA 30002
City Hall: (404) 294-5400