The Mission of the Whatcom Land Trust (WLT) is to preserve and protect wildlife habitat, scenic, agricultural and open space lands in Whatcom County for future generations by securing interests in land and promoting land stewardship.
The CFO role is an important strategic addition to the management team and will utilize financial analysis and reporting to support operational and strategic decision making. The CFO will work closely with the Executive Director and Finance Committee to develop and implement financial strategies across the organization including budget development, cash flow planning and monthly financial reporting to the Board of Directors. This includes providing guidance to Whatcom Land Trust’s staff to ensure proper maintenance of all accounting systems and processes. The CFO will act as the primary point of contact for Whatcom Land Trust’s annual audit process. The CFO will be available for other related financial needs as they arise.
- Review monthly financial statements and bookkeeping work as prepared by staff and contractors.
- Provide financial guidance to WLT staff in the accounting department.
- Facilitate the development of the organization’s annual operating budget with direction from the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Assist in preparation and completion of the annual audit, to include preparation of requested audit, tax schedules, and responding to substantiation requests.
- In coordination with the Executive Director, manage and oversee financial reporting to the Finance Committee and Board of Directors, WLT management and Grantors.
- Attend monthly Finance Committee meetings and present financial statements and reports.
- Develop and ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures
- Work closely with the Executive Director and management team to develop and implement financial strategies across the organization including budget development and cash flow planning.
- Work with the Finance Committee, Board Officers and Executive Director in management of investment accounts and transaction oversight.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable accounting and reporting requirements.
- 5+ years’ experience as CFO, finance officer or other relevant role
- Experience in nonprofit or public sectors
- In depth knowledge of financial systems and best accounting practices
- CPA required
- Fundamental knowledge of GAAP
- Accounting or finance degree (BS/BA/MBA) or related, relevant work experience
- Proficient in QuickBooks, Excel and Microsoft Suite applications
Desired Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage time effectively
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Excellent knowledge of data analysis and forecasting methods
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles and procedures
- Deadline and detail oriented
- Strong analytical and critical-thinking skills
- In-depth knowledge of regulatory compliance and risk management practices
Whatcom Land Trust seeks a long-term relationship with a CFO. This position is considered part-time and hourly. The role will require 12-16 hours monthly supporting WLT, with seasonal shifts on time required for audit (usually Jul/Aug), budget prep (May/June) and occasional Board meetings (A rough estimate of approximately 192 hours annually is anticipated). This equates to a total compensation of $12,000-$15,000/year depending on qualifications. This position is based in Bellingham.
Email a letter of interest and resume (PDF only), and contact information for a minimum of three references to email@example.com with “Chief Financial Officer” in the subject line. We will not contact your references without notifying you first.
Screening of applications will begin on 1/30/22. This position is open until filled.
Whatcom Land Trust is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection of candidates for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex or sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, military service, family medical history, legal source of income, gender identity, political affiliation, or family leave obligations.