ACCOUNTING ASSISTANT I
Finance Department – Utility Billing/Customer Service
$4,335.25 - $5,414.08 Monthly
Bilingual (English/Spanish) Pay – 5%
Plus Excellent Benefits
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE:
Friday, February 8, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The City of Gilroy is recruiting for an Accounting Assistant I position in the Finance Department. The goal of the Finance Department is to provide timely and accurate financial information to City management, the City Council and the public and administer the City’s assets including cash and investments.
Under direct supervision of the Revenue Officer, perform technical and highly detailed work in support of the accounting, fixed asset and payroll functions. Newly hired Accounting Assistants will also support the Utility Billing function by providing technical and administrative support, and by providing customer service in person and on the phone, and other related work as required. This position may also provide support in one or more of the following areas: accounts payable, purchasing or accounts receivable.
The Ideal Candidate Will:
- Have an exceptional customer service background, working directly with the general public.
- Have good cash handling, accounting, and mathematical skills.
- Multi-task proficiently and communicate effectively.
- Work independently under fast paced conditions.
- Be a team player with the ability to positively interface with other departments.
- Be highly organized and detail oriented with the ability to prioritize work.
- Be committed in maintaining confidential and sensitive information.
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office and very comfortable with the use of technology.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Assist at the counter in receiving the public and provide customer service information in a courteous and professional manner.
- Gather, tabulate, assemble, check, verify, and file data.
- Process mail and documents involved in financial transactions.
- Make mathematical calculations necessary for accurate recording of financial transactions.
- Receive, document, and account for funds.
- Record data and maintain statistical and financial reports and logs.
- Determine accurate fees by referencing Comprehensive Fee Schedule.
- Maintain adequate form stock necessary for billing and reporting.
- Assist in and prepare billings.
- Verify and code payments and cash receipts.
- Post to ledgers and journals manually or electronically.
- Audit accounts receivable and payable.
- Equivalent to graduation from high school.
- Some college level accounting or bookkeeping course work is desired.
- Two years of experience in accounting and clerical work, including responsibility for handling and accounting for cash and/or maintaining accounting records.
- Keyboarding 25 net words per minute, and proficient in 10-key by touch and Windows environment. (finalist may be required to pass a keyboarding/computer proficiency evaluation)
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicles.
- Pass a detailed background check that includes a Department of Justice criminal record check for employment and a credit check.
- Prefer Bilingual (Spanish/English)
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity please attach and submit the following required items with your NEOGOV application:
- A completed City of Gilroy employment application including complete supplemental question responses
- A detailed resume that highlights your related skills and experience
- A cover letter that explains your specific interest in the Accounting Assistant I position with the City of Gilroy.
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit online. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the ‘Apply’ tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
Recruitment Schedule – Key Dates*
Application Closing Date: Friday, February 8, 2019
Interviews : Wednesday, March 6, 2019
Finalist Interviews and Practical Test: Friday, March 8, 2019
(*Note: The examination process/schedule may be changed as needed by the City.)
Only complete application packets will be reviewed. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass an employment background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City’s expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include an e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.